Wednesday, March 31, 2010

holy software

What do you do when you run across a product, in my current case, software, that does that thing where they stick scriptures and fishes all over their site to tell you that they're Jesus-y? I find it really off-putting. If it were a plumber, I would skip that guy. The best thing he can say about himself in his business ad is that he might go to church? Fail plumber.

But I just ran across some free organizer software that is currently running an Easter sale (complete with scriptures, clouds and dove) it you want to upgrade to the not-free version. I downloaded, but haven't installed yet. But I'm wondering what I'm going to do if I decide I want the upgrade. Do I want to give them money to pass along the godness?

Probably won't be a problem, since I'm big into free software. The only software I can think of where I prefer paid to free is my graphics software. Poser over DAZ|Studio, and Photoshop over anything that is not Photoshop (including Photoshop Elements, which should really be called Fauxtoshop). Granted, those are the software packages I learned on, and I'm most familiar with. I'm not a fan of learning curve. Although I did switch from Bryce to Vue for landscapes, because there's just no comparison. (No offense to DAZ, on the Studio and Bryce fronts. Or on Carrara, which I also do not use/understand.)

Anyway, I wonder if it even occurs to people that sticking their god all over their site comes off as unprofessional and off-putting. What if I were a Wiccan selling totally-unrelated-to-Wicca software? Should I hold a Beltane sale, and decorate the site with pentacles and triple moons?

No comments:

Post a Comment