Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Media Can Legally Lie

The Media Can Legally Lie

Whoa! That doesn't mean what I think it does, right?

In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.


SAY WHAT?! **insert tire screeching sound here**

Why did I not know this until like five minutes ago? Why aren't we shouting this from the rooftops? FOX News WENT TO COURT to "prove" that they have the right to lie on the air any time they want. This doesn't bother conservatards? I am kind of at a loss here, because I'm apparently incapable of understanding why anyone would continue to insist that this farce of a network is "fair and balanced." I would like to believe that, like me, the non-FOX-employees spouting that nonsense are largely unaware of this court case. And further, I would like to believe that at least some of them would actually care that FOX came right out and said in a court of law that they lie on the air, that they have the right to lie on the air, and that they have the right to fire anyone who threatens to report them for lying on the air. WTF?

But the thing I really can't understand, is how an appeals court could possibly agree with them. FCC policy doesn't have the weight of a law or a rule? What? I am just shaking my head here.

No comments:

Post a Comment